rsync backup performance question

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Mon Jun 23 09:14:11 EST 2003

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 05:39:49PM +0200, Ron Arts wrote:
> jw schultz wrote:
>

> [snip.. and thanks for all your comments]
> >

> >Rsync doesn't perform well on non-local filesystems.
> >

> Really? Won't gigabit ethernet help for NFS, or maybe
> Samba? I only have to rsync a relatively
> low number of files, so no large directory scans.

Certainly the faster the link to the fileserver the better.
A gigabit link to optimised disk arrays can be faster than
local disk.  Just be aware that rsync is a cache thrasher
and will propagate that effect to the fileserver or SAN box
possibly impacting other processes.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt