good snapshot solution

Hans-Juergen Beie hjb at pollux.franken.de
Sun Jun 22 20:34:54 EST 2003

jw schultz wrote on 20.06.2003 04:06:

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 05:44:48PM +0200, bart.coninckx at sita.be wrote:

[...]

>>After doing some research I found three candidates:
>>
>>- Dirvish
>>- Rlbackup
>>- Rsync_snapshots by Mike Rubel

[...]

>>Also, I was wondering if can still share the snapshotted versions of the
>>files with Samba in an intuitive way. Dirvish for instances seems to use a
>>certain subdirectory system making that somewhat more complex.
>

> Intuitive is a subjective term.  I'm sure dirvish would
> support almost any way you would like.  A discussion of that
> is not appropriate for this list.
>

>>The last one is very straight forward and looks sufficient, but Mike points
>>out that he sees this only working for smaller servers, so I worry a bit
>>about our 900 GB in data. Would this systeem know how to handle this amount
>>of data?
>

> I'm not sure why, or where, he says that.  I'll grant that
> the configuration might not scale well for Mike's snapshot
> approach but otherwise it should be no more limiting than
> dirvish or rlbackup.  I know of more than one site using
> dirvish for hundreds of servers with multiple terabytes of
> backup data.

rsback is based on Mike's approach.
It was made to handle configurations for different backup scenarios more
flexibly. I'm using it on two production servers sharing some trees of
the backup repositories (read-only mounted via nfs) with Samba.

see http://www.pollux.franken.de/hjb/rsback

hjb :-?

--
Hans-Juergen Beie