various "rsync: connection unexpectedly closed" errors on debian unstable rsync 2.5.6-0.1 package

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Sat Jun 21 12:03:23 EST 2003

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:21:11AM +0800, wearitdown at myrealbox.com wrote:
> Hi.  I have a debian/unstable machine, which I use to rsync with other
> machines, and on which I run an rsync daemon.  rsync --version gives:
>
>    rsync  version 2.5.6  protocol version 26
>    Copyright (C) 1996-2002 by Andrew Tridgell and others
>    <http://rsync.samba.org/>
>    Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks,
>    batchfiles,
>                  IPv6, 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums
>

> Very frequently when rsync'ing with some machines, I get an error
> similar to the following:
>
>    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1491993 bytes read so far)
>    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)
>    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1491973 bytes read so far)
>    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)
>
> In this particular case, I ran "rsync --recursive --links --hard-links
> --times --verbose --delete --timeout=600
> rsync.jp.gentoo.org::gentoo-portage/
> /home/mirrors/ftp_root/sites/gentoo/".  On the other hand, when I rsync
> against some sites such as rsync.au.gentoo.org, I rarely get such errors.
>
> For my rsync daemon, I run it as "/usr/bin/nice /usr/bin/rsync --daemon
> --compress --safe-links --bwlimit=400 --timeout=600" where the
> appropriate stanza in /etc/rsyncd.conf is
>
>    [gentoo-portage]
>            comment = Gentoo Linux Portage tree
>            path = /home/mirrors/ftp_root/sites/gentoo
>            read only = yes
>            use chroot = true
>            list = yes
>            uid = sync
>            gid = sync
>
> From some places, rsyncs to myself get errors similar to the following:
>
>    write failed on /tmp/mirstat.temp.K2gzyR : Bad address
>    rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(271)
>    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (798 bytes read so far)
>    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(150)
>

> I'd be very grateful if anyone can shed light on why this is happening.
> Is my version of rsync somehow incompatible with some versions?  Does
> the debian rsync package have known problems? (on the latter, I alien'd
> the redhat rawhide rsync 2.5.6-4 package, and got the exact same
> problems, so it may not be a debian package-specific issue).

Please check your rsync log file (created by the daemon) for
error messages.  Also try without compression.

It seems as though something happened in 2.5.6 where
compression and daemon produce this.  My impression is that
it doesn't happen via ssh nor without compression.  So far
we don't have a test case nor have any of the developers
experienced it.  You may want to try cvs where some of the
io routines have been changed.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt