various "rsync: connection unexpectedly closed" errors on debian unstable rsync 2.5.6-0.1 package

wearitdown at myrealbox.com wearitdown at myrealbox.com
Sat Jun 21 11:21:11 EST 2003

Hi.  I have a debian/unstable machine, which I use to rsync with other
machines, and on which I run an rsync daemon.  rsync --version gives:

    rsync  version 2.5.6  protocol version 26
    Copyright (C) 1996-2002 by Andrew Tridgell and others
    <http://rsync.samba.org/>
    Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks,
    batchfiles,
                  IPv6, 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

Very frequently when rsync'ing with some machines, I get an error
similar to the following:

    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1491993 bytes read so far)
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1491973 bytes read so far)
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)

In this particular case, I ran "rsync --recursive --links --hard-links
--times --verbose --delete --timeout=600
rsync.jp.gentoo.org::gentoo-portage/
/home/mirrors/ftp_root/sites/gentoo/".  On the other hand, when I rsync
against some sites such as rsync.au.gentoo.org, I rarely get such errors.

For my rsync daemon, I run it as "/usr/bin/nice /usr/bin/rsync --daemon
--compress --safe-links --bwlimit=400 --timeout=600" where the
appropriate stanza in /etc/rsyncd.conf is

    [gentoo-portage]
            comment = Gentoo Linux Portage tree
            path = /home/mirrors/ftp_root/sites/gentoo
            read only = yes
            use chroot = true
            list = yes
            uid = sync