unexplained error occurs with options "o" or "g"

Hursch, Robert robert.hursch at lmco.com
Wed Jun 18 08:48:26 EST 2003

I am running rsync ver 2.5.5 on HP-UX 11.0.  Whenever I run an rsync
specifying the "o" or "g" option to maintain owner or group info, I get
an error similar to the one below.  The actual error code changes every
time, but it's always the same main.c line number.  The error
message does not occur if I remove the o and g options.

rsync error: unexplained error (code 184) at main.c(578)

The rsync seems to run correctly, but it appears the exit_cleanup function
is having a problem.  Does anyone know what is happening or
how I can eliminate this problem?  Can I run with this error message and
maintain the integrity of my transferred files?

Robert C. Hursch
UNIX Administration

robert.hursch at lmco.com