rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (Broken pipe)

Nathaniel Case nacase at wisc.edu
Wed Jun 18 00:10:38 EST 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 at 16:24:25 -0700, jw schultz wrote:

> > After looking at io.c, it seems like the problem (rather, the symptom)
> > for
> > this error message is a failed write() call (which explains the Broken
> > Pipe message to stderr).  I thought maybe --blocking-io would avoid this
> > issue, but it still happened when using --blocking-io.
>
> It would seem that the server process (forked off from the
> daemon) is dying.  Look in the rsyncd log file (may be
> syslog) for clues.

Yes, this does appear to be what is happening.  I actually had tried
looking at the daemon logs, but there didn't appear to be anything
remotely interesting in it.  This is the only line I see in the log:

2003/06/16 16:23:48 [17924] rsync to blah/blah/Blah/ from backup at host
(10.x.x.x)

Is there any way to increase the verbosity for this?  Adding -v's to the
daemon process didn't appear to affect it.  Oh well, I guess it's time to
start debugging.

- Nate Case <nd at kracked.com> (not subscribed)