state of the rsync nation? (revisited 6/2003 from 11/2000)

Stefan Nehlsen sn at ParlaNet.de
Tue Jun 10 21:02:34 EST 2003

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 06:13:48PM +1000, Brad Hards wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:21 pm, Martin Pool wrote:
> > I guess the reason why you're interested in doing it is so that you
> > can browse public rsync mirrors from Konqueror/whatever?
> Yep. Also, I was playing with the idea of rsync with Service Location Protocol
> to use as a replacement for the crappy practice of sharing data over floppy
> disks. The rough concept was that each machine had a shared directory, which
> you could conveiently label and advertise over SLP.

Some time ago I found a patched rsync with slp-support. I think it
was on the openslp site and was a demonstration for the use of slp.

As server it announced its modules to an slp-server and as client it
asked for location of servers and modules.

It was just ment as a demo but it seemed to be usable.

cu, Stefan
--
Stefan Nehlsen | ParlaNet Administration | sn at parlanet.de | +49 431 988-1260