rsync 2.5.6 still hangs

Argentium G. Tiger agtiger at kingston.net
Sun Jun 8 01:45:09 EST 2003

Steve Greenland writes:

 > And for the record, I get the hang regardless of my '-v' setting
(anywhere
 > from 0-4 "v"s).

I was recently getting rsync 2.5.6 choking on me on certain very large
files when I was trying to RSYNC SuSE Linux 8.2 from ftp.nrc.ca.

Here's what I was getting:

receiving file list ...
6063 files to consider
suse/src/es...
suse/src/OpenOffice_org-1.0.2-37.src.rpm
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(177)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (217137 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)

I wondered if something in the compression stream might be causing problems
so I removed the -z option from the command line, and suddenly it's working
for me.

Your mileage may vary, but I thought I'd throw that data point out there to
see if it helped you or anyone else.

Sincerely,
Argentium

--
Argentium G. Tiger (ag42tiger at king42ston.net)
Linux is like a wigwam - no Windows, no Gates, and an Apache inside!