finding files on remote rsync servers

Gavin Chester gc at gwchester.com
Fri Jun 6 17:45:23 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 15:31, Gavin Chester wrote:

I've satisfied *some* of my confusion by trial and error (see below),
but need to be pointed in the right direction for a suitable tutorial or
such to solve the rest of my rsync mystery. Thanks.

<snip>

> 1/ if I can find a file(s) that I want in the FTP archives of a mirror
> site - and that site *appears* to be running the rsync server daemon -
> then I should be able to use rsync on those files.  Is that so?

Still haven't worked out this one - why might a site be setup with the
files I want in the FTP archive, but not available for rsync from that
same server - or am I not looking in the right places on that server?

> 2/ After finding the file in their FTP archives I am trying to confirm
> that a site is running as a rsync server by getting a directory listing
> domainname.com::  Is that the best way of actually confirming it is an
> rsync server?

I've found that other *experts* have written this is the way to do it -
so I guess that one is solved.

<snip>

> I can't understand the error in this case because I was able to find the
> directory *knoppix* at the next higher directory level, as in this
> _partial_ output:
>
> 	[gavin at localhost gavin]# rsync mirror.aarnet.edu.au::pub/
>
> 	lrwxr-xr-x          13 2001/05/23 19:57:50 kde
> 	lrwxr-xr-x          17 2003/01/31 16:47:37 knoppix
> 	lrwxr-xr-x          13 2001/05/28 11:24:14 ldp
>
> So, in my ignorance, am I not using the correct syntax or is that report
> telling me that the directory that rsync sees is empty?

I've since worked out that these directory listings in my example above
refer to _links_ and not to lower directory levels.  Duh! So near yet so
far |-( . Consequently, the overriding problem remains as stated in my
original Q.1 above.

--
Regards,

	Gavin Chester

	mailto: gc at gwchester.com
	962 Williams Rd, Dwellingup, Western Australia 6213
	Tel: (08)95381102  Fax: (08)95381409