[rsync@b] Re: rsync and cygwin

Bert rsync at b.sproing.net
Wed Jun 4 13:25:54 EST 2003

Michael,

While I frequently run scheduled bash shell scripts via a bash.bat file as
you describe, I don't think it is necessary here... I think Trey can run
rsync.exe directly if he really wants to.

I tested running 'ls /cygdrive' from within a cmd.exe dos prompt and it
worked...

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>c:\tools\cygwin\bin\ls /cygdrive/
c  e  f  n  s

C:\>c:\tools\cygwin\bin\ls /cygdrive/c
AUTOEXEC.BAT            MSDOS.SYS            ....

(I'm assuming rsync would work similarly to ls)

While I don't know the cygwin architecture details, it looks like the
/cygdrive functionality is a part of cygwin.dll and can be used without a
parent bash shell.

Later,
  Bert

--On Tuesday, June 03, 2003 8:45 PM -0500 Michael Hipp <Michael at Hipp.com>