rsync and cygwin

Trey Nolen tnolen at internetpro.net
Wed Jun 4 09:04:50 EST 2003

Hi, I'm having some trouble using rsync on W2K under Cygwin. We are using it
to back up the W2K machine to a Linux machine. We are using the patched
version of rsync 2.5.6 that allows it to run faster on NT/2K when
calculating  the changes.  We can backup a directory without a problem, but
in this case, we want to backup everything, so the directory we are backing
up is \.  We do not run rsync under a Cygwin bash prompt, and we schedule it
with the scheduler to run automatically every night, but this issue is the
same even if we run the commands manually.  The following is the contents of
a .bat file we are running with scheduler:

c:\cygwin\bin\rsync -aR -e
c:\cygwin\bin\ssh.exe --verbose --exclude-from=c:\ssh\rsync-exclude.txt --nu
meric-ids --delete --delete-after \ root at host.net:/

I've also tried something like the following:
c:\cygwin\bin\rsync -aR -e
c:\cygwin\bin\ssh.exe --verbose  --numeric-ids --delete --delete-after \
root at host.net:/

In both cases, I get a lot of errors like the following:
Building file list...
readlink \/Borrower: No such file or directory
readlink \/Data: No such file or directory
:
:
IO error encountered - skipping file deletion

It does one of the readlink lines for every file and directory in the root
directory. Notice how it has a backslash and a forward slash on each line.
It seems like rsync is not handling the removal of the slashes properly??
Now, if I do something like:
c:\cygwin\bin\rsync -aR -e
c:\cygwin\bin\ssh.exe --verbose  --numeric-ids --delete --delete-after \Data
root at host.net:/

It backs up the c:\Data directory just fine. Notice the only differenc here
is that we are backing up \Data instead of just \.

My rsync-exclude.txt file contains:
+ \Borrower
+ \Data
:
:
for each directory and file in the root directory.

It doesn't seem to matter what we list in the exclude file because the
errors still list every file in the root directory no matter what we have in
the exclude file.

I've looked through the archives, and found some similar issues, like the
one found here:
 http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/rsync/2003-March/010247.html  but I
haven't been able to resolve this so far.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Trey Nolen