Minor problem with unwritable directories

Elijah P Newren newren at math.utah.edu
Tue Jun 3 06:12:34 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-31 at 21:42, Assar Westerlund wrote:
> That's what it does.  What makes you think that the copy is not
> exact?  The reason that second rsync is printing out those directories
> is that the second rsync is also doing the same double setting of
> directory permission.  It doesn't know that there are no files that
> need to be created.  You could re-write the code so that it only
> changes the permission on the directory when it needs to create a file
> there, but that would be some amount of work.

Ah, that's my problem.  I was assuming that rsync would not make any
changes at all to a filesystem when mirroring, unless there were
differences between the source and destination.  Apparently that isn't
true, this being one of the counter examples (perhaps the only
counter-example?).  I guess that means that what I found wasn't a bug,
but rather just an un-implemented wish-list item for rsync.  :)

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me,
Elijah

Elijah Newren
Internet: http://www.math.utah.edu/~newren   newren at math.utah.edu
Tired of pop-up webpages when surfing the internet?  Look at
   http://www.math.utah.edu/~newren/noPopUps.html
for how to get rid of them without spending a penny.