why are these files being transfered

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sun Jun 1 02:41:56 EST 2003

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 09:24:19AM -0700, Harry Putnam wrote:
> But it seem cvs then sees them as modified.

"Them" who?  You said you're transferring the files from the cvs checkout
area to a buffer area.  Are you transferring them back again?

> Not sure I see the point of any modification, time stamp or whatever
> if the files are the same.

But, how do you know they're the same?  Rsync certainly doesn't (though,
if you use my suggested -c option, it would determine that for itself).

The question should be, how are things getting out-of-whack between the
two areas?  You should be transferring the data with -a, and then it
should just work.  It's not clear what you're trying to do, but I assume
there's a flaw in your use of rsync.  Either that, or you're not aware
that 2 different CVS checkouts of the same CVS module will have
radically different modification times on all the files even when they
have identical content.

> I see --size-only does cure the problem.

That would be an extraordinarily bad idea.  The only thing that
--size-only should be used with are files that can't possibly change
unless their size changes (such as log files).  Since source files can
change and remain the same size, so this is not a solution.