rsync 2.5.6 globbing bug

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Thu Jul 31 07:57:18 EST 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:44:37PM +0100, Alan Burlison wrote:
> $ rsync -auv \
> ftp.funet.fi::CPAN/modules/by-category/05_Networking_Devices_IPC/Net/* . \
> | grep -v MOTD:

Cockpit error.
This isn't DOS.  Don't use * when you want the all directory contents.
	rsync -auv ftp.funet.fi::CPAN/modules/by-category/05_Networking_Devices_IPC/Net/ .
Will work correctly and is safe from the local shell
globbing which would have given you an error message had you
been using csh with default options.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt