Help using --exclude

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Jul 29 09:23:21 EST 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 02:17:06PM -0700, jw schultz wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 01:31:41PM -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> >     --exclude=/*/.mozilla/**/Cache/
>
> Wayne, if i recall correctly this pattern will break if an
> upgrade includes a change to your wildmatch code.

In this case the .mozilla dir is one dir deep, so I chose to write the
pattern with "*" because that's the most precise way to specify the
match (even though the current code treats the "*" as "**").  Yes, it
won't match a .mozilla dir at an arbitrary depth in the user's home dir
(in my wildmatch code), but I was assuming that was not needed.

> The transition to being something i'm favoring.

I'm planning to just do some final speed tests and then switch rsync
over to the new wildmatch code.  If anyone has any concerns here, please
let me know.