patch to use pipe if socketpair fails

Harri J{rvi jarvi at cs.tut.fi
Fri Jul 25 18:08:40 EST 2003

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 12:16:11PM -0700, jw schultz wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 01:22:58PM +0300, Harri J{rvi wrote:
> > if socketpair support has been compiled in but the host where rsync is run
> > doesn't support it, you get error
> > pipe failed in do_recv
>
> Rejected.
>
> Build for the platform.  If you are doing a cross-platform
> build either use options to ./configure or modify config.h
> to match the target OS.

I ran into this problem when I had a minimal Linux kernel compiled on a
replicator boot disk. It had SOCKET support left out, and I got a cryptic
error message.

This would fix it.

I won't argue about rejection of this patch. I just sen this mail to tell
you that I wasn't doing a cross compile, but used a precompiled binary
on a reduced kernel, and got confused about the error message. I
investigated what went wrong and came up with this fix to let the binary
decide which to use if socketpair isn't available.

There might be other situtations where a socketpair might fail that I can't
predict.

Anyways. Thanks for reply.

Yours,
Harri Järvi