rsyncd logging to multilog / stdout

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Jul 22 12:33:30 EST 2003

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 04:36:05PM -0400, Toby Betts wrote:
> I was looking for suggestions on how I could get rsyncd to send its log
> information to multilog, and I came across this post:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=rsync&m=105034709927741&w=2
>
> Is there any initiative to integrate this or something like it into the
> rsync base?

Not that i am aware of.  That particular patch is a bit
to large for my comfort.  I don't think any of the other
developers are keen to do this.

> It would be a really useful feature for people who run rsync
> under process supervision.

If anything i might be persuaded to allow "log file = -" to
cause logging to stdout.

Perhaps you could create a named pipe or fifo(4) which could
be specified in rsyncd.conf.  Multilog could be launched
with this pipe redirected to stdin.  This would require no
modification to rsync.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt