multiple instances using cron

Matthew Healey matthew at wocwa.com
Fri Jul 18 16:49:20 EST 2003

Hi all,

I have searched high and low on the web and this mailing list and
cannot find anything similar to the problems I am seeing.

I have the following two commands set up in cron (as root) to run at
midnight (under MacOS X Server 10.2.6).

rsync -av --progress --delete --progress --size-only
rsync.nic.funet.fi::CPAN /Volumes/mirrors/mirrors/cpan
rsync -av --progress --delete --progress --size-only
ftp.macgamefiles.com::macgamefiles-ftp
/Volumes/mirrors/mirrors/macgamefiles

Individually these commands work fine, but when I run them under cron,
they seem to get executed over and over until the server dies. Each
time the process runs, it opens yet another connection to the remote
server.

I was wondering if there is any problem with running two instances of
rsync at the same time, or if their is something going wrong that makes
cron think that the process hasn't started, and thus tries again...

I have tried putting the commands into a shell script to force them to
execute one after the other, rather than at the same time but that
doesn't seem to fix it either..

I can't seem to find anything relevant with google as I don't think I
am explaining myself correctly, or using the correct terminology.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

- Matt