rsync's "value to large" error.

Leaw, Chern Jian chern.jian.leaw at intel.com
Tue Jul 8 17:03:58 EST 2003

HI,

I'm trying to transfer a list of files within a filesystem to another filesystem. I've used the option:
# rsync -avzol --progress /wp05/global/FCSI/WP_RLS05/rundir/ /nfs_proj/global/WP/

However, it had produced the error below:
building file list ... global/FCSI/WP_RLS05/rundir/wp_celtic_max_fullwarn.tcl.log: Value too large to be stored in data type

# du -sk wp_celtic_max.tcl.log
4       wp_celtic_max.tcl.log

# file wp_celtic_max.tcl.log
wp_celtic_max.tcl.log:  commands text

May I know what is the cause of this problem? What does the error message "Value too large to be stored in data type" mean?

How do I solve such an error?

The destination filesystem have been created with a sufficiently large diskspace to accomodate the source data.

Could someone kindly help me out?

Thanks