New wildmatch code in CVS

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Sun Jul 6 15:30:13 EST 2003

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 09:48:15PM -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 06:15:22PM -0700, jw schultz wrote:
> > If i may ask, why this change?
>
> I appear to have accidentally left that out this time (though I did
> mention it long ago when discussing the fixes I wanted to make to the
> exclude code).

I figured you probably had but if i had forgotten so would
others.

> The big thing this does is to make "**" and "*" work correctly when used
> together.  The current code makes an "*" work like "**" if there is a
> "**" somewhere else on the line.

Ahh,  That wasn't entirely clear.  Very good.

> I have also seen some buggy behavior in fnmatch()'s character-class
> handling, as mentioned below.
>
> > Does this introduce any changes in behavior of patterns?
>
> Besides bug fixes, it should not.  The buggy behavior of '**'s effect on
> '*' was mentioned in the documentation, though, so it could affect some
> people.

I'll tell you what i'm thinking road map wise and you can
agree or disagree, and tell me i'm crazy.

I'd like 2.5.7 fairly soon containing:

	cygwinhang patch -- if testing shows it to be safe
		and effective.

Then i'm inclined to a 2.6.0 with these things that change
the user interface:

	my keyword based report (verbosity) option.
		This doesn't break anything and i have no
		qualms with it going into 2.5.8

	ssh as default -rsh transport.
		This would affect users expecting rsh or remsh

This new pattern matching would fall into the changed UI
that might merit a minor version number increment.

I'm also wondering about the craigb-perf patch.  Anyone know
how widely it has been tested?

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt