How to backup whole directory over SSH and keep permissions?

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Sat Jul 5 11:06:54 EST 2003

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 05:48:52PM -0700, Francis Potter wrote:

> I'm trying to use rsync to backup a whole system from one machine to another
> over SSH. I'd like to retain the permissions and groups so I can recover
> part of the directory. The problem is, the machines are both set up to
> prohibit root logins over SSH (for security), and of course rsync can't set
> the owners on files if it's not root. Is it possible? What's the right way
> to do this? Thanks in advance.

There is no one right way.  Probably the best way is to drop
the no root ssh requirement.  Another would be to set up a
root (/) module running as root in rsyncd which depending on
your perspective is less secure.  After that come a list of
things that will work if certain assumptions are true.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt