@ERROR access denied

Hugh E Cruickshank hugh at forsoft.com
Sat Jul 5 05:17:43 EST 2003

Hi All:

I am new to rsync so be gentle with me. I have been able to get
rsync working enough to be able to list modules but not transfer
files.

When I try to transfer a file from the client to the server I use
the command:

  rsync -avz fapmenu fisdev::bak

The client displays the following messages:

  @ERROR: access denied to bak from pgiprd.forsoft.com
          (192.168.2.19)
  rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (80 bytes read so far)
  rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
          io.c(150)

While the server issues the following log message:

  2003/07/04 12:01:53 [15981] rsync denied on module bak from
                              pgiprd.forsoft.com (192.168.2.19)

In the above example "fisdev" is an SCO OSR5.0.4 system with rsync
V2.5.5 that I have downloaded as source and compiled. The daemon
was started from a root command line session. "pgiprd" is a RH8
system with rsync V2.5.5 as supplied by Red Hat. The daemon has
been started via xinetd.

It does not seem to matter which way I attempt to transfer the
file I end up with very similar results. Nor does it seem to
matter if I attempt with either root or a "normal" user.

The rsyncd.conf file for fisdev contains:

#
# Global parameters:
#
#motd file	= /var/rsync/rsyncd.motd
log file	= /var/rsync/rsyncd.log
pid file	= /var/rsync/rsyncd.pid
#syslog facility= daemon
#socket options	=

#
# Default values for module parameters:
#
#use chroot	= no
#max connections	= 0
#lock file	= /var/rsync/rsyncd.lock
#read only	= no
#list		= yes
#uid		= -2
#gid		= -2
hosts allow	= fisdev pgiprd
auth users	= root hugh

#
# Module "BAK":
#
[bak]
comment		= Default remote backup repository
path		= /bak

The rsyncd.conf file for pgiprd contains:

#
# Global parameters:
#
#motd file	= /var/rsync/rsyncd.motd
log file	= /var/rsync/rsyncd.log
pid file	= /var/rsync/rsyncd.pid
#syslog facility= daemon
#socket options	=

#
# Default values for module paramaters:
#
#use chroot	= no
#max connections	= 0
#lock file	= /var/rsync/rsyncd.lock
#read only	= no
#list		= yes
#uid		= -2
#gid		= -2
auth users	= root hugh
secrets file	= /var/rsync/passwd
strict modes	= no
hosts allow	= fisdev pgiprd

#
# Module "BAK":
#
[bak]
comment		= Default remote backup repository
path		= /bak

Any thoughts, tips or suggestions greatly appreciated. By the way
I have reviewed the man pages and FAQ without seeing anything
obvious. I have also attempted a google search without much
success.

TIA

Regards, Hugh

--