Latest release of --files-from patch

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Fri Jan 31 22:16:43 EST 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 07:22:00PM -0800, Wayne Davison wrote:
> I've worked up a new release of my --files-from patch.  It has the
> following changes from the last release:
>
> New Changes:
> ============
>
>  - You can specify a list of files separated by nulls (instead of
>    newlines) if you add the --null option.

Just a thought here...

I've been a bit bothered by the --null option, firstly in
terms of option proliferation which is bad enough with this
patch.  Mainly because we have several options that accept
multiple values from a file and we aren't switching to null
termination for them but --null is rather unspecific.
Unfortunately, i think the functionality is needed but can't
think of a way of reliable auto-detection.

Try this on for size.  Instead of being orthogonal with tar,
cpio and xargs, be orthogonal with find.  Like -print0 use
--files-from0 to specify that that the file list is null
terminated.  In that way --files-from and --files-from0 will
be a single manpage entry and it will be clear that the null
termination only applies to the file-list even without
cross-referencing.  It also means the user only needs one
command-line option for the file list regardless of entry
termination.

It also occurs to me that it might make sense to always
transfer the file-list over the network null terminated.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt