case problems with dos/windows based systems.

Peter Tattam peter at jazz-1.trumpet.com.au
Fri Jan 31 00:22:00 EST 2003

I have asked this before once.  I am getting duplicate file names generated
quite regularly when I am using samba file shares (samba seems to generate
either upper or lower 8.3 case names, and also allows both to exist).

Basically, the name of a file should match the name of a file at the other end
if they are 8.3 format and are the same when ignoring case.  Long file name
behaviour should be preserved as is.

Is there a patch for rsync which allows for case to be ignored for 8.3 names?

The only way other way I can sort this out is to run a program to clean up the
8.3 file names before trying out the rsync (i.e. convert any 8.3 names to
upper or lower case).

Peter

Peter R. Tattam                            peter at trumpet.com
Managing Director,    Trumpet Software International Pty Ltd
Hobart, Australia,  Ph. +61-3-6245-0220,  Fax +61-3-62450210