proposal to fork the list (users/developers)

'jw schultz' jw at pegasys.ws
Thu Jan 30 15:00:49 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 02:16:42PM +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 30 Jan 2003, Donovan Baarda <abo at minkirri.apana.org.au> wrote:

[discussion of cvs branches and rsync successor projects]

> > Actually, a bigger "attitude" issue for me is having a separate
> > rsync-devel and rsync-user lists. I have almost unsubscribed many times
> > because of the numerous newbie user questions;
>
> Me too.
>
> Samba does this with samba-technical and samba.  I think at this point
> the user list for samba only has slightly more traffic than rsync.  I
> think apache may now be the same too.
>
> Plenty of people post user questions to samba-technical despite
> prominent notices that it is only for developers.  They tend to both
> piss off developers and go unanswered at least some of the time.  It's
> probably due both to "my question *is* technical" and "if the
> developers read it they might answer."  I'm not sure what a good
> solution would be: probably a clearer name would help.  Perhaps
> rsync-dev?
>
> What do people feel about this?

Won't make much difference to me although i'm more inclined
to leave it as is.  As far as i can tell rsync is only
getting around 100 messages per week.  I'd most likely just
have procmail drop both lists into the same box anyway.
The bigest concern is that one of the lists would wind up
mostly dead.

Most of our newbies are good enough to read the manpage and
play around a bit.  Most of the bald-faced "how do i use it"
questions are preemted by the website.  A better "how do i
report a bug" guide might help somewhat but otherwise i've
been pretty impressed by the quality of the questions.

The real issue is what rules to apply to the rsync-devel
list if everyone else wants that.  At a minimum we should
probably require subscription prior to posting.

So put me down as oposed to a list-split but only mildly.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt