Proposal that we now create two branches - 2_5 and head

Madole, Dave BGI SF Dave.Madole at barclaysglobal.com
Thu Jan 30 12:44:32 EST 2003

I agree with this.  I am in a situation where I don't install rsync
myself, I have to depend on sysadmins to do it.  They get very nervous
and insist on installing it as something like "rsync2_5_5" because they are
afraid
some other users "legacy" rsync invocation is going to break; you can't
blame them for their circumspection.

They'll gladly install bug fixes, of course, but I can't say every few
months "hey could you install the new rsync" because there's a critical
bug fix tied in with a bunch of features any current user is unlikely to
use.
I'm sure just getting them up to 2.5.6 from 5.5 will be a bit of a pain.
If I really NEED a new feature, but frankly between perl and the three
hundred
or so options that rsync now supports that seems unlikely, then I can
petition
them to do the upgrade; otherwise, why should they?

Dave