Proposal that we now create two branches - 2_5 and head

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 30 12:35:49 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 03:40:36PM -0500, Green, Paul wrote:
> Having a production branch will remind us that we have a place to put
> stability or security fixes, and will make it easy to do so.

I think I see now how you're viewing this branch -- as something to keep
updated with fixes in parallel with the devel trunk.  I don't really
think we need that at this point.  I was thinking of it as a completely
unused thing until we decided that we needed an emergency bug-fix
release for a specific issue (and we didn't feel that the trunk was in
good enough shape to make a new release in a short timeframe).  So, I'm
mildly against having this.  Other projects have it because the changes
on the trunk are radical enough that it will take too much time between
bug-fix releases, and I don't think that's where we are with rsync at
the moment.  That's all IMHO, of course.