Incremental transfers: how to tell?

James Kilton kilton9 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 29 05:56:10 EST 2003

Hello.

I just started messing around with RSync to
synchronize some RRD files between a couple BSD/Linux
boxes.  To test, I'm just trying to sync about 20 of
these files which are about 256KB each.  It seems that
the full contents of each file are being transferred
each time; i.e., the incremental transfer feature
isn't working.  I'm basing this assumption on output
such as the following:

# rsync --no-whole-file -vvae ssh *.rrd
root at x.x.x.x:/tmp
opening connection using ssh -l root x.x.x.x rsync
--server -vvlogDtpr . /tmp
root at x.x.x.x's password:
building file list ...
expand file_list to 4000 bytes, did move
done
dskAvail1.rrd
dskAvail2.rrd
ssCpuRawUser.rrd
total: matches=0  tag_hits=0  false_alarms=0
data=10200816
wrote 10203996 bytes  read 596 bytes  1855380.36
bytes/sec
total size is 10200816  speedup is 1.00

This was ran after the files were originally copied
and some minor changes were made to each of them.  It
appears that the amount of data transfered ("wrote")
is almost the same as the total size of all the files,
which leads me to believe that all the files were
transferred in their entirety.  I specified the
"no-write" option to see if it would make a difference
to no avail.

I also tried this with just one text file, and got the
same type of output.  Am I interpreting the output
wrong, or all the files indeed being transferred in
their entirety?  If so, is there a way to ascertain
why this is happening?

Thanks,
James