Cygwin issues: modify-window and hangs

Max Bowsher maxb at ukf.net
Sat Jan 25 13:02:00 EST 2003

Dave Dykstra wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 12:10:39AM -0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
>> Dave Dykstra wrote:
>>> While doing the tests we too experienced hangs at the end of copies.
>>> We were going over openssh from a Solaris 9 box to Windows 2000
>>> Cygwin.
>>> We tried the test from
>>>     http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/rsync/2002-August/008130.html
>>> but it still experienced hangs.  It wasn't clear if the patch
>>> reduced
>>> the frequency or not.
>>
>> Data point: I regularly rsync from sources.redhat.com (Linux, I
>> presume. Not Cygwin, anyway) to my local machine (Cygwin). I have
>> never experienced a hang.
>
> Since you posted the above message, does that mean you used to
> experience hangs and that the rsyncs you do now are with the patch in?

No, all I did was translate a description of what to change into an actual
.patch file.

I have experienced connection reset by peer issues on Cygwin, but only on
file listing, never on actual transfers.

I'm using the current Cygwin release (rsync-2.5.5-2). That is rsync-2.5.5,
with an added msleep(30) which is intended to deal with a possible problem
with signals in Cygwin.

>>> Has *anybody* been able to figure out a fix for this that really
>>> works?
>>> It sure would be nice to get something into 2.5.6 but we're about
>>> out
>>> of time for that because I need to put it out this weekend before I
>>> start a new (temporary) job on Monday.  I imagine that the issue I
>>> was experiencing could be a separate one and this patch really would
>>> help other hangs people are having; can anybody give me an argument
>>> for putting in the calls to "shutdown()" anyway?  I would make it
>>> only happen on Cygwin, because it is unknown if they will cause harm
>>> on other platforms.
>>
>> Those platforms would have to be fairly broken. The behaviour of
>> shutdown is pretty clearly defined.
>
> It is a relatively rarely used function, however, so it probably
> doesn't get much testing.  Cygwin/windows is what's really broken and
> I'd rather not risk all the other ports to suit it.

Understandable.

Anyway, since rsync on Cygwin is currently behaving perfectly for me, I
don't really have much to say in this discussion.

Max.