Cygwin issues: modify-window and hangs

Ville Herva vherva at niksula.hut.fi
Sat Jan 25 08:51:01 EST 2003

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 05:18:07PM -0600, you [Dave Dykstra] wrote:

> While doing the tests we too experienced hangs at the end of copies.
> We were going over openssh from a Solaris 9 box to Windows 2000 Cygwin.
> We tried the test from
>     http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/rsync/2002-August/008130.html
> but it still experienced hangs.  It wasn't clear if the patch reduced
> the frequency or not.

I've been using rsync cygwin->linux, 100Mbit ethernet for years and never
seen this. When I add encryption (zebedee, ssh) to the equation, I get
hangs. The buffering patch that was sent to the list a couple of weeks back
seems to help, but I think it just makes it harder to trigger. (The
buffering patch helps a great deal with performance.)

As for the right solution, I'm afraid I have no ideas.

-- v --

v at iki.fi