opendir(somedir/somefile): Not enough space -- why?

Dave Dykstra dwd at drdykstra.us
Sat Jan 25 02:30:00 EST 2003

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 04:02:28PM -0800, jw schultz wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 04:49:20PM -0700, Bill Geddes wrote:
> > Am I running out of memory on the source server?  Seems perhaps more
> > plausible than on the client - it has nothing going on and 1Gb RAM.
> > The server has rsync version 2.5.5.  The client has 2.5.6.
>
> Yes, it looks like the sender is running out of memory.
> Break the job up.

The important factor is the number of files.  Rsync uses up some memory
for every file it looks at in a run.  That's why JW said to break it
up into smaller jobs.

> > I am currently mounting the server directory via NFS, and using rsync to
> > copy from the mounted directory to the target.  Slow, but it is running!
>
> If you continue over NFS be sure you do checksums of
> everything afterward.  NFS has (or at least used to) a
> measurable error rate.

Rsync is optimized for a slow "network" and high speed "disk" access.
If you're doing NFS over a slow network, that looks to rsync as a slow
"disk".  If you can, it's probably better to run rsync directly on
the server.

- Dave