Cygwin issues: modify-window and hangs

Dave Dykstra dwd at drdykstra.us
Sat Jan 25 02:25:00 EST 2003

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 12:10:39AM -0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
> Dave Dykstra wrote:
> > While doing the tests we too experienced hangs at the end of copies.
> > We were going over openssh from a Solaris 9 box to Windows 2000
> > Cygwin.
> > We tried the test from
> >     http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/rsync/2002-August/008130.html
> > but it still experienced hangs.  It wasn't clear if the patch reduced
> > the frequency or not.
>
> Data point: I regularly rsync from sources.redhat.com (Linux, I presume. Not
> Cygwin, anyway) to my local machine (Cygwin). I have never experienced a
> hang.

Since you posted the above message, does that mean you used to experience
hangs and that the rsyncs you do now are with the patch in?

> > Has *anybody* been able to figure out a fix for this that really
> > works?
> > It sure would be nice to get something into 2.5.6 but we're about out
> > of time for that because I need to put it out this weekend before I
> > start a new (temporary) job on Monday.  I imagine that the issue I
> > was experiencing could be a separate one and this patch really would
> > help other hangs people are having; can anybody give me an argument
> > for putting in the calls to "shutdown()" anyway?  I would make it
> > only happen on Cygwin, because it is unknown if they will cause harm
> > on other platforms.
>
> Those platforms would have to be fairly broken. The behaviour of shutdown is
> pretty clearly defined.

It is a relatively rarely used function, however, so it probably doesn't
get much testing.  Cygwin/windows is what's really broken and I'd rather
not risk all the other ports to suit it.