opendir(somedir/somefile): Not enough space -- why?

Bill Geddes bill_geddes at agilent.com
Fri Jan 24 23:50:00 EST 2003

Am I running out of memory on the source server?  Seems perhaps more
plausible than on the client - it has nothing going on and 1Gb RAM.
The server has rsync version 2.5.5.  The client has 2.5.6.

I am currently mounting the server directory via NFS, and using rsync to
copy from the mounted directory to the target.  Slow, but it is running!

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:52:10 -0800
jw schultz <jw at pegasys.ws> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 02:20:33PM -0700, Bill Geddes wrote:
> > More error data:
> >
> > The usage I have described returns an error code of 12 -
> > Error in rsync protocol data stream
> >
> > Also, on the tail end of the std out:
> >
> > opendir(somedir): Not enough space
> > done
> > somedir/
> > somedir/.somefile is uptodate
> > somedir/somefile.HTML
> > ERROR: out of memory in map_ptr
> > rsync error: error allocating core memory buffers (code 22) at
> > util.c(232)
> > somedir/doc/somefile/
> > rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
> > rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(162)
>
> malloc has failed.  You're out of memory.  rsync can be a
> memory pig.  Upgrading to cvs or 2.5.6pre* _may_ help.
>
> It is probably necessary to break the job up.  A better
> gauge of the memory requirements of an rsync transfer would
> be df -i or find . | wc -l
>
> --

Bill Geddes
  bill_geddes at agilent.com