send_files failed to open filename ...

Green, Paul Paul.Green at stratus.com
Fri Jan 24 17:50:45 EST 2003

Do-Risika RAFIEFERANTSIARONJY wrote:
> but I don't really understand this last part, especially the *double
> buffering* ?

I think JW means that you should first make a local copy of the directory
hierarchy you want to back up to another system, and then run rsync on the
copy.  If you use different disk drives, then this local copy should be
pretty fast, and will minimize the chances that your set of files is
internally inconsistent (html links pointing to files that are gone).  You
can do this in either direction; if you are pushing files, you could push
them to a temporary location, then use directory rename ("mv") to have the
whole set appear at once.  If you are pulling files, you can make the local
copy, then rsync with the local copy.

HTH
PG