main.c error

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Fri Jan 24 03:10:01 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 08:53:21PM -0600, Paul wrote:
> Hello!   This is not a real problem, since it seems to work correctly
> anyway.  But I'm still wondering about it.  If I just execute "rsync" with
> no switches or targets, it prints the usage, then gives an error at the
> bottom:
>
> rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at main.c(864)
>
> Is this normal, or indicating a bug, or what?  It does this on three
> different systems, so I don't think it is something I did.

Rsync without any options or arguments is a usage error so
the message is technically correct.  It might be more precisely
conformant to the documented usage to not output the usage
message and just output the error but what would be the
point?  If you execute rsync -h no error is generated.

I'd describe this as a user-friendly nit.  Barely worth
changing.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt