send_files failed to open filename ...

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Thu Jan 23 13:13:00 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 03:38:34PM +0300, Do-Risika RAFIEFERANTSIARONJY wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm mirroring some websites with rsync (daemon on the source), and I
> noticed in the destination host some error messages 'send_files failed
> to open filenames',
>
> Actually, the concerned files are deleted on the source host, but I
> would like to ask :
>
> * why does rsync say these (in which phase) ?

Because the files were deleted from the source between the
initial tree scan and send_files.
These would be files that meta-data indicates are changed.
send_files is what calculates and sends the deltas.

> * is these messages harmful or not ?

Not harmful.  It is an indication of the volatility of the
source at the time of transfer.

Having some files disappear could result in an inconsistant
state.  For example: a web repository where the delete
happens between index.html and gif or link destinations on
which it depends.  Just a caution.  It could be worthwhile
to test the log for these messages and rerun if their count
exeeds some threshold, say zero.  For an active site i'd
suggest double-buffering.

> Here below my rsync command and some of the error messages :
>
> rsync --delete -zrv --bwlimit=$bwlimit --timeout=1200
> --exclude-from='/etc/rsync/exclude'  $user\@" . $server .
> "::htdocs/$dir/ /var/www/htdocs/$dir/
>

> send_files failed to open
> www.lft.mg/matieres/svt/Evaluations/CLASSE.GIF: No such file or directory