exclude hell !!!!!

wim delvaux wim.delvaux at adaptiveplanet.com
Wed Jan 22 02:43:00 EST 2003

On Wednesday 22 January 2003 03:37, Dave Dykstra wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 02:49:03AM +0100, wim delvaux wrote:
> > WHY OH WHY does rsync SEND and CREATE a file called RepositoryPath
> > ALTHOUGH the rsync is called like
> >
> > rsync "--exclude=*.bup RepositoryPath" ...
> >
> > can ANYBODY explain.

	two problems

	It had to be --exclude=*.bup --exclude=RepositoryPath
	and shell quoting ;-(

> It doesn't happen for me.  Is your "rsync" command actually a shell
> script which causes an extra round of substitution?
>
> > ALSO when you specify an exclude list on the server in the rsyncd.conf
> > file and you call rsync with the --delete option WHY DO THE FILES that
> > SHOULD BE EXCLUDED get deleted ??
> >
> > Jeeez, what a bummer
>
> I assume you're comying from the server to the client?  From "exclude"
> in rsyncd.conf.5:
>
>     This is equivalent to the client specifying these patterns with the
>     --exclude option except that the exclude list is not passed to the
>     client and thus only apply on the server.
>
> which means that if you do a --delete they are not excluded on the client.
> It's as if the files don't exist at all on the server.

	Ah! so it means that if the file exist on the client and it is excluded on
the server,the client assumes the file should be removed (--delete).

	How can I EXCLUDE files from the sync on the server (I want the server
to define the rules so each client has as little config as possible)