[patch] Two problems in testsuite (POSIX, perms)

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jan 21 19:08:42 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:11:29AM -0500, Brian Poole wrote:
> Occurrences of \" inside double quoted `..` command substitutions.
> In POSIX mode, the \" is interpreted when the command is interpreted;
> in non-POSIX mode, the backslash is stripped before the command sub-
> stitution is interpreted.

The interesting thing here is that there's an extra level of complexity:
namely that the `..` command substitution is inside a double-quoted
string.  I wonder what POSIX says about that?  Shouldn't the rule for
backslashing double-quotes inside double-quotes override the rule for \"
inside `..` in this instance?

> I worked around the problem by using the suggested $(...) form.

I don't believe that a classic Bourne shell understands this form of
command substitution.  So, I think your suggestion to assign the content
of the cat to a variable before the echo is a safer way to go.  I'll
tweak your patch and check it in.