Finished storage compression patch for rsync

Harald Fielker fielker at informatik.fh-augsburg.de
Sun Jan 19 10:46:01 EST 2003

Am Samstag, 18. Januar 2003 22:54 schrieb Max Bowsher:

Hi,

> Green, Paul wrote:
> > Harald,
> >
> > You might consider using zlib instead of gzip; same algorithm, same
> > author, but you can access the compression code via a subroutine

Do you have an idea how i can use it for compressing a whole file?

Is there a de/compress (char *file) function?

> > interface. You would not have to spawn another process to run gzip,
> > and you would not be dependent upon the user having gzip installed.

You are right - an internal compression to rsync would be nice. But i would
also suggest having a userdefinable option for the compressing program. I
prefer lzo (http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/). The compressor depends
on the files you are using, e.g. bzip2 is good for small textfiles - lzo is
fast and can be used for large database files where there are changes every
3-4 days.

> Well, I presume it is, since it's what rsync uses to implement in-transfer
> compression (-z option).
>
> Which means you shouldn't even need to deal with adding it to the rsync
> build system.
>
> Max.

Just tell me the function i have to call ;)

--
Bye,
Harald