Finished storage compression patch for rsync

Harald Fielker fielker at informatik.fh-augsburg.de
Sat Jan 18 15:11:01 EST 2003

Hi,

i finished my storage compression patch for rsync.

WARNING - THIS IS ONLY FOR TESTING!

How does this work?

Just add a "-Z" option to your common rsync commandline parameters. The
destination files will be stored in a compressed way (by using a hardwired
call of gzip).

This works in both directions:

rsync -Z -av mydir user at remote:/dir

and

rsync -Z -av user at remote:/dir localdir

The remote:/dir and localdir will keep the files compressed.

If you want to compress or decompress any local directory, add a link to the
rsync exe file:

ln -s rsync rscompress

and

ln -s rsync rsuncompress

With "rscompress" you can compress a local directory (e.g. if you want to use
existing files without wanting to transfer then first from your server).
rsuncompress will decomress a compressed directory.

I have no idea if this works with: links, devices and any other strange stuff.
Also make sure if you use rsync over a network connection that there is gzip
in your $PATH if the destionation side should be saved compressed.
WARNING! I have no idea if the system( "gzip ..." ) call might be a security
issue!

A final advise. This is only for testing ;)

--
Bye,
Harald