specifying a list of files to transfer

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jan 17 23:00:01 EST 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 11:46:33AM -0500, Andrew J. Schorr wrote:
> Is there a possible case where
> the --files-from file list lives on the remote (sender) side?

Yes, I could see that being possible -- your update scenario is even an
interesting example.

It's actually easy to have the remote sender open the file list on the
sending side with the addition of a little code that allows the
--files-from name to be prefixed by a hostname (that must match the
sender's hostname).

> Come to think of it, if the data lives on the remote server, where
> would a local files-from list come from?  How would it be generated?

Since the list is manually generated I imagine that either the user has
advanced knowledge of what is to be grabbed or the user first runs a
remote command (via ssh, perhaps) that generates the list.