specifying a list of files to transfer

Andrew J. Schorr aschorr at telemetry-investments.com
Fri Jan 17 16:50:01 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 01:58:49PM -0800, jw schultz wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 02:52:38PM -0600, Dave Dykstra wrote:
> > Also, if the transfer is being sent from the remote side, the file names
> > are all getting sent over to the remote side first for --files-from and
> > then sent back as part of the normal protocol, right?  I had hoped we'd
> > be able to avoid that round trip because the list could get long.
>
> I don't think we can avoid the round trip without changing
> rsync drastically.  Just consider that this saves on sending
> voluminous --include lists or invoking rsync hundreds of
> times.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this completely, but is there a possible
scenario where the remote (sender) might have a list of files on
his side?  I might be mistaken, but it seems that the current patch
supports the case where the --files-from file list is located on
the local side, and it must be transmitted to the sender in the
case where the sender is remote.  Is there a possible case where
the --files-from file list lives on the remote (sender) side?

This is not relevant to me, but I'm just wondering.  One might
imagine a scenario in which a bunch of sites are mirroring from
a server, and the server runs a job to create a list of modified
files that the remote mirrors should pull for updating...

Come to think of it, if the data lives on the remote server, where
would a local files-from list come from?  How would it be generated?

-Andy