specifying a list of files to transfer

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jan 17 07:17:00 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 07:06:05PM -0800, jw schultz wrote:
> [...] and that entries therein are not flattened like they would be on
> the command-line (sans -R).

But they *are* flattened exactly like on the command-line, at least in
my current patch they are.  That's what -R is for -- telling rsync not
to do that.  So, without -R there are no implied directories to create
except for the destination dir (which is created if it doesn't exist).

> The permissions and ownership should be derived from the source.
> so effectively it should be as though
> 	./deltapics
> where in the file list.

Right.  In fact, that's exactly what happens with -R -- all intermediate
directories get added to the file list (if they aren't already in it)
without causing any extra recursion (even if -r was specified/implied).

If people want the "--files-from" to imply "-R" then I'd want to see a
"--no-relative" option to let people turn it off.