rsync hanging with openssh-2.9.9p2 as the transport

Andrew J. Schorr aschorr at telemetry-investments.com
Wed Jan 15 22:13:00 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 09:27:37AM -0600, Dave Dykstra wrote:
> Unfortunately I don't think anybody is going to be able to tell you.
> I've not heard of anybody lately posting a similar problem.  In the
> past hanging problems have been traced to many different sources.
> Rsync stresses network (and filesystem) implementations greatly, and
> combining it with ssh stresses things that much more.  I think it's
> worth a try to use openssh 3.1 or 3.2 (I've not been happy with versions
> after 3.2).  What's the network between the local and remote machines?
> Does the name /nfs/mirror imply that the files are not directly mounted
> on "remote" but are instead on an NFS server?  That has been the cause
> of many problems in the past.

Actually, it turns out that my testing on this issue has been invalid
since I've been using the -vvv flag to rsync to get a grip on where
it's hanging.  But I just discovered that the -vvv flag itself seems
to cause rsync to hang.  So all the testing I've done so far is useless,
so I'm not sure whether this is related to openssh or the slow connection
or what.  I know that the problem exists in 2.5.5, but I need to do more
testing without the -vvv flag to figure out what's causing it.  Is it
well-known that the -vvv flag can cause rsync to hang?

Thanks,
Andy