specifying a list of files to transfer

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 15 18:04:00 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 07:57:48PM -0800, jw schultz wrote:
> with the -r or -a options does this [recurse] on
> directories in the --files-from list?

Yes, it treats them like command-line args with the following two
exceptions:  if -r is not specified, we WILL create an explicitly named
directory (but not send its contents), if -R is specified, we do NOT
create implied directories (which was your next question).  This latter
exception means that we currently require the user to ensure that the
destination directory tree is valid (which could be done once with a
separate rsync --files-from run that didn't use -r and specified all
the dirs that we needed to ensure exist).  If this turns out to be too
much of a hassle, perhaps a new option named --implied-dirs could be
added to have rsync do its normal -R dir handling.