specifying a list of files to transfer

Lee Eakin Leakin at dfw.Nostrum.com
Wed Jan 15 04:58:00 EST 2003

> From: jw schultz <jw at pegasys.ws>
> Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 20:33:46 -0800
>
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 10:15:42PM -0600, Lee Eakin wrote:

I would agree.  If the paths are known to be relative (forced to be by the
rsync running where the ssh restriction is) then (assuming the wrapper's
intent is to allow access to the whole sub-tree) it could allow the
files-from option.  If you only want to allow access to specific files,
then it would still have to disallow the option.

I can think of one possible way for the wrapper to find out what files are
being requested, but don't know enough about the interconnect between the
2 rsyncs to know if it would break it (probably).  If the wrapper could
run a modified version of the original command without a destination it
would print out a list of the files (remember that if you do not give a
destination it prints something similar to 'ls -l' with includes and
excludes applied) then it could walk the output and verify all the paths.
If it passed inspection, it could call the real command passing the file
list to stdin itself.  It would have to attach stdout and stderr properly,
and may even have to act as a pass-thru for further data coming on stdin.
It would be complicated, but might be possible if the dummy (no destination
run) did not close off the connection after reading the file list, and/or
the handshaking was clearly documented so non-developers could understand
it.

I only throw this idea out because I would really like files-from to work
even in a restricted-access mode.  It is a BIG win over parsing a large dir
for includes/excludes.

    Lee Eakin - leakin at dfw.nostrum.com

Murphy's Military Laws:
6. The buddy system is essential to your survival;
   it gives the enemy somebody else to shoot at.