specifying a list of files to transfer

Lee Eakin Leakin at dfw.Nostrum.com
Wed Jan 15 03:16:00 EST 2003

FYI, pulling multiple files from a daemon currently supported (well, it
works).  Given a package of foo you can specify:

  rsync -av 'remote::foo/file1 foo/file5' /tmp

It appears the daemon does proper splitting based on either white-space,
or possibly the current value of $IFS in the daemon's environment?

One other note, I did not determine whether it was a Solaris issue, or
string length limit, or file argument limit, but in my tests I could only
specify about 20 files using this method.  When I went over the limit no
files were xfered.

I was testing this a while back (just to see if I could), so I don't
remember the exact limit, but I am fairly sure I experimented with shorter
pathnames and it did not effect the max filenames I could specify.

Oh, yes.  I did not have the same limitation over ssh.  The remote shell
seems to pass any number of filenames to the remote end (of course there
may be limits depending on what login shell is used on the remote server).
  -Lee