specifying a list of files to transfer

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 15 02:42:01 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 04:35:40PM -0800, jw schultz wrote:
> Absolute paths are bad news here.  Especially when dealing with an
> rsync daemon.

Yes, this is something that needs to be dealt with for daemon mode since
it does not appear to have been possible to specify multiple filenames
to pull before (unlike remote-shell mode).

For non-daemon mode, the code is the same as it always was in this
regard.  For example, this command:

    rsync -av /tmp/one /foo/two /bar/three dest:

is no different than this command:

    rsync -av --files-from=list /tmp dest:

where list contains:

    one
    /foo/two
    /bar/three

In the patch I posted earlier, daemon mode did not work with the new
--from-files option.  My latest patch has this fixed:

    http://www.clari.net/~wayne/rsync-files-from.patch

And it also runs the filenames through sanitize_path() in daemon mode
(when chroot is not specified, at least -- I haven't tested a chroot
version yet).