specifying a list of files to transfer

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jan 14 21:22:00 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 11:02:44AM -0500, Andrew J. Schorr wrote:
> I am attaching an updated version of my patch to allow you to specify
> a list of files to transfer.

Cool.  I'm looking into making this work when fetching files.  Towards
that end, I'd like to suggest an alternate command-line syntax to make
the --source-file option take a filename.  This will allow it to accept
"-" as stdin, and will make it easy to parse for the pull syntax.  This
means that we need to omit the SRC spec on a push or specify it as
empty.  E.g. these will all work:

  rsync --source-list=file remote:/path
  rsync --source-list file : remote:/path
  rsync --source-list=- "" remote:/path <file

A pull looks like this:

  rsync --source-list=file remote: /path
  rsync --source-list - remote::module /path <file

What do people think?  Of course this is not for the rsync release we're
currently working on, but could be included as a patch, if desired.