configure issue (ac_cv_lib_inet_connect) on DYNIX/ptx

Dave Dykstra dwd at drdykstra.us
Tue Jan 14 17:54:06 EST 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 09:03:23PM -0500, Michael Sterrett -Mr. Bones.- wrote:
> Greetings -
>
>     In trying to get rsync-2.5.6pre1 working on DYNIX/ptx, I found I
>     needed to pass ac_cv_lib_inet_connect=no to configure in order for
>     it actually create a properly configured config.h file.
>
>     I think this is because configure looks for connect in libinet,
>     (and finds one there somehow).  But connect() is resolved by libsocket
>     (but configure doesn't find it when it looks there).  I've never taken
>     the time to delve into the guts of autoconf, so I'm not sure if this
>     is a general autoconf problem or a problem that is specific to rsync.
>
>     At any rate, hopefully, this will be useful to someone.  I can send
>     a config.log file to anyone who's interested.
>
>     After passing ac_cv_lib_inet_connect=no to configure, all tests either
>     PASS or SKIP so it looks good.

Ok, we'll assume that you'll continue to do it that way unless you post
a patch to configure.in.  Really there should be a modification to
autoconf, probably an AC_FUNC_CONNECT macro, but I'm not sure anybody
wants to do the work.  I do see a couple mentions of DYNIX in the autoconf
2.53 macros.

>     I also get this warning, which is trivial, but it would be nice to
>     clean it up:
>
> 	"cleanup.c", line 36: portability warning: trigraph sequence replaced
>
>     This is from the (????) in cleanup.c.  To get rid of the warning,
>     just remove the (????) from line 36.

I don't want to remove it completely because apparently it means something
to the person who put it in.  Please suggest another form that conveys the
same meaning and doesn't cause a warning.

- Dave